Paralegal Schools in Montana
Earning a degree or certificate in paralegal/legal assistant studies can be the first step in starting a rewarding career. Through quality education, the paralegal schools in Montana can help you achieve your career goals by preparing you to practice as a paralegal or legal assistant. As an alternative to traditional on campus paralegal programs, you may also wish to consider online paralegal degree programs such as those offered by Kaplan University.
- There are 2 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in Montana.
- No schools offer an undergraduate certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 2 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 1 school offers a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There are 2 ABA approved paralegal degree programs in Montana.
- Highest graduation rate: The University of Montana 47%.1
- Highest net price per year: University of Great Falls $22,700.1
- Lowest net price per year: The University of Montana $13,345.1
- Highest student population: The University of Montana 15,669.1
- Lowest student population: University of Great Falls 1,076.1
- No Schools in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100)
Keep reading this page to find out more about popular programs and paralegal schools in Montana, in addition to career information for paralegal graduates in the state.
Paralegal Degree Programs in Montana
The University of Great Falls offers a bachelor’s degree in Paralegal Studies that balances legal theory and professional skill application. In addition to required general education and law courses, students are allowed to select elective courses to individualize their degrees and focus on a specific legal topic. The program also requires a legal internship, during which students can apply classroom knowledge and engage in a legal setting in a law office, judge’s office or corporation. Though bachelor’s degrees are more comprehensive and better preparation for graduate study, the University of Great Falls also offers a shorter associate degree program that includes much of the same legal knowledge and preparation for a career as a paralegal or legal assistant. This program has been approved by the American Bar Association and is excellent preparation for career-paralegals as well as individuals wishing to pursue graduate study in a variety of law-related fields.
University of Montana
The associate of applied science degree offered by the Paralegal Studies program at the University of Montana aims to prepare students for entry level legal professions by imparting professional skills through a foundation of theoretical and practical legal education. Graduates are equipped with the skills to preform paralegal tasks such as drafting legal documents, interviewing clients, conducting legal research and preparing cases for trial. General professional skills in technology and presentation are emphasized throughout the program. The associate degree program lasts four semesters, is offered on both the Mountain and East campuses and may be entered in the fall semester only. This program has been approved by the American Bar Association and provides a great background in legal knowledge and professional skills.
Montana State University – Billings
Montana State University Billings offers affordable and flexible paralegal certificate courses designed to help working students improve their credentials while maintaining a full time position. Students learn to draft legal documents, interview clients, prepare trial notebooks, and preform legal research. Classes may be taken online in two consecutive seven week sessions, on campus on Saturdays and Sundays for six weekends, or though a DVD and Text-only lecture format. This program includes training in and access to Westlaw, an important legal research tool. Though not formally approved by the American Bar Association, this program is a good option for students wishing to retain a full time position while pursuing a certificate, or for those with other scheduling restrictions.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in Montana
University of Great Falls (Great Falls)
University of Montana (Missoula)
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/