Paralegal Schools in Iowa
Whether you are interested in earning a certificate or a degree in the paralegal field, the paralegal schools in Iowa have a variety of options that may be a match for your skills, interests, and career goals. The paralegal programs available in Iowa include general paralegal programs as well as specialized paralegal programs to prepare students for specialty practice upon graduation. Online paralegal schools are also an option for students interested in launching a paralegal career.
- There are 13 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in Iowa.
- 2 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 12 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 2 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 2 ABA approved paralegal degree programs in Iowa.
- Highest graduation rate: Kaplan University-Mason City Campus 61%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Grand View University 31%.1
- Highest net price per year: Kaplan University-Cedar Falls Campus $23,983.1
- Lowest net price per year: Western Iowa Tech Community College $5,925.1
- Highest student population: Kaplan University-Davenport Campus 56,606.1
- Lowest student population: Marshalltown Community College 1,923.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in Iowa: $3,564-$20,481.2
- 1 School in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): University of Iowa #26
Continue reading below where you will find profiles of popular paralegal programs and schools in Iowa as well as career projections for paralegals and legal assistants.
Paralegal Degree Programs in Iowa
The Des Moines Area Community College an A.S. in Paralegal Studies that combines comprehensive general education courses with specialized legal courses to fully prepare students for entry into the professional workforce as a legal assistant or paralegal. Specialty legal courses are offered in many substantive areas of law such as torts, business law, family law, litigation, probate and income taxation. Courses are offered in both the day and the evening and are held mostly at the DMACC – Des Moines (Urban) campus. The A.S. in Paralegal Studies program requires 64 credits and has an approximate total cost of $9,287. DMACC also offers a Legal Studies Certificate program for those students who have already completed an A.S. in another field. Both programs are approved by the American Bar Association.
Kirkwood Community College
Kirkwood Community College’s A.A. in Paralegal Studies enables students with the knowledge and skills to assist lawyers with a variety of legal tasks including document preparation, client interviews, and legal research. This program is approved by the American Bar Association and is excellent preparation for those pursuing any law-related career. This 2-year program provides a broad overview of several substantive areas of law and legal theory and the mandatory paralegal internship course is a unique opportunity for students to gain workplace valuable experience and foster important networking connections. Additionally, Kirkwood centers are distributed in several Iowa counties to maximize accessibility to prospective students.
Brown Mackie College – Quad Cities
Brown Mackie College is a family of schools that includes 25 locations nationwide and six career-focused areas of study. Brown Mackie College – Quad Cities is located in Bettendorf, Iowa and offers an A.A.S. in Paralegal Studies that combines business, legal and technical training in various areas of substantive law. The program can be completed in as little as 26 months and offers a uniquely flexible course schedule. The ‘one course a month’ schedule allows students to take one class per month while still completing the program on time. This option is oriented toward students who need to balance other responsibilities or commitments while pursuing their degrees. Though not formally approved by the American Bar Association, the Brown Mackie Paralegal program provides a good introduction to the paralegal/legal assistant field and may be a good option for those unable to complete other paralegal degree programs due to time and scheduling constraints.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in Iowa
Des Moines Area Community College (Des Moines)
Kirkwood Community College (Cedar Rapids)
1. National Center for Education Statistics: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche: http://colleges.niche.com/search/t-career/sm1-paralegal/st-ia/