Paralegal Schools in North Carolina
The universities and colleges in North Carolina offer a multitude of paralegal and legal assistant programs covering specialties from copyright law to civil litigation to fit with your career interests and goals. This guide to paralegal schools in North Carolina will provide you with important information so that you can make an informed choice. You may also wish to consider online paralegal programs, like the Associate’s in Paralegal from Remington College, which some find to be a more flexible alternative to on campus programs.
- There are 26 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in North Carolina.
- 13 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 25 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- No schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There are 7 ABA approved paralegal degree programs in North Carolina.
- Highest graduation rate: King’s College 84%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Cape Fear Community College 36%.1
- Highest net price per year: South College-Asheville $30,984.1
- Lowest net price per year: Pitt Community College $4,534.1
- Highest student population: Central Piedmont Community College 19,840.1
- Lowest student population: South College-Asheville 217.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in North Carolina: $6,334-$17,100.2
- 3 Schools in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): Duke University #11, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill #31, Wake Forest University #36
Continue reading this guide on North Carolina paralegal schools to find more information about paralegal schools in North Carolina as well as career information for graduates.
Paralegal Certificate Programs in North Carolina
Guilford College’s Paralegal Certificate Program prepares students, who already possess an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree, for a career as a paralegal. Courses are held two evenings a week for four hour sessions and on select Saturdays throughout the 19 week program. Students must complete 190 hours of in-classroom study and an additional 100 hours of independent study, which includes completing assignments. The paralegal curriculum is divided into paralegal skills courses and law coursework. Core courses cover contracts, criminal law, family law, real estate, and torts. Courses are generally taught by experienced, practicing attorneys. Graduates of the program have the necessary qualifications to take the North Carolina State Bar Paralegal Certification examination.
Paralegal Degree Programs in North Carolina
Central Piedmont Community College
The Paralegal Program at Central Piedmont Community College offers a thorough introduction to the practical skills necessary to succeed in paralegal and legal assistant professions and is the only American Bar Association approved paralegal degree program in Western North Carolina. Full time students can complete the A.S. in Paralegal Technology in two years. The curriculum incorporates both college-level general education courses as well as substantive and procedural legal specialty courses. Special emphasis is placed on professional and technical skills such as word processing, accounting, research and writing. The full cost of the program is estimated to be around $1104 per semester for North Carolina residents, making it a very affordable and comprehensive paralegal degree option.
Meredith College’s small school environment is bolstered by the average class size of 20 students and the personal attention allotted to each student from an array of highly qualified faculty. The paralegal degree program offers three concentrations within the field, civil litigation, business organizations and real estate. These specialty tracks are a unique offering at Meredith and may be beneficial to paralegal students wishing to specialize in a specific area of law. As an established paralegal degree program in the area, Meredith College has developed close ties with the local legal community, fostering promising opportunities for recent graduates. Additionally, the flexible course schedule and convenient location in Raleigh, N.C., make the program quite accessible to individuals with various scheduling obligations. The paralegal program at Meredith College has been approved by the American Bar Association and has been certified by the North Carolina State Bar.
Fayetteville Technical Community College
Fayetteville Technical Community College offers a five semester degree program in Paralegal Technology that emphasizes both legal knowledge as well as professional and scholarly skills such as public speaking, presentation software and computer skills. Legal areas of particular emphasis within the curriculum include civil litigation, real property, and wills and estates. The mandatory co-op work experience component of the program enables students to engage with a real world legal setting at the culmination of the course sequence. This program is designed to be entered in the fall semester and may offer scholarships and financial aid packages to qualified students. Fayetteville Technical Community College’s paralegal A.A.S. degree program has been formally approved by the American Bar Association.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in North Carolina
Carteret Community College (Morehead City)
Central Piedmont Community College (Charlotte)
Fayetteville Technical Community College (Fayetteville)
Meredith College (Raleigh)
Methodist University (Fayetteville, NC)
Pitt Community College (Greenville)
South College-Asheville (Asheville)
Featured Programs in North Carolina and Online
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- BS in Paralegal Studies
- AAS in Paralegal Studies
- And more...
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal
- BAC-Paralegal Studies
- AS - Paralegal Studies
- CERT: Paralegal Studies
- Certificate: Paralegal (Legal Studies)
- A.S. in Legal Studies
- B.S. in Legal Studies
1. National Center for Education Statistics: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. College Prowler: http://collegeprowler.com/search/t-career/sm1-paralegal/st-nc/