Paralegal Schools in South Carolina
South Carolina’s colleges and universities offer an array of paralegal programs that can lead to the award of a certificate or degree, and may allow you to choose study areas to fit with your personal interests and career goals. This guide to paralegal schools in South Carolina will provide you with key information so that you can make the right choice. In addition to traditional on campus programs, you may wish to compare online paralegal degree programs, which can be a flexible alternative to traditional classroom learning.
- There are 13 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in South Carolina.
- 5 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 13 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 2 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There are 9 ABA approved paralegal degree programs in South Carolina.
- Highest graduation rate: Miller-Motte Technical College-North Charleston 38%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Technical College of the Lowcountry 30%.1
- Highest net price per year: South University-Columbia $25,693.1
- Lowest net price per year: Technical College of the Lowcountry $4,417.1
- Highest student population: Trident Technical College 16,781.1
- Lowest student population: ITT Technical Institute-Myrtle Beach 74.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in South Carolina: $5,622-$18,048.2
- 1 School in the US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): University of South Carolina #98
Continue learning about paralegal schools in South Carolina as well as possible career tracks for paralegals and legal assistants below.
Paralegal Degree Programs in South Carolina
The A.A.S. degree in Paralegal Studies offered by Central Carolina Technical College prepares students with the abilities and qualification necessary to succeed in entry-level legal positions as paralegals and legal assistants. The curriculum includes various disciplines such as accounting, management, and mathematics. Substantive legal courses covering material including family law, property law, and torts make up the bulk of the coursework, though practical skills courses such as keyboarding, and legal research and writing are also offered. The program requires a minimum of 69 semester credits for completion and begins in the fall semester of every year. This program has been approved by the American Bar Association.
Greenville Technical College
The American Bar Association approved paralegal program at Greenville Technical College is a project-oriented program with an emphasis on hands-on, engaging learning. Students at Granville have the opportunity to practice important paralegal skills such as litigation, title examination and legal research. Professional oral and written communication skills are also emphasized throughout the coursework, preparing students to confidently enter a variety of legal settings. The A.A.S. degree program requires 64 credit hours and typically takes five semesters to complete. Students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree are eligible to pursue a fast-track version of the degree program, which requires 43 credit hours and can be completed in 12 months. The Granville Technical College paralegal degree program offers extensive post graduate career counseling and is a great option for prospective paralegals in South Carolina.
South University in Columbia offers an American Bar Association approved A.S. degree in Paralegal Studies. The degree curriculum consists of specialized coursework spanning subjects such as real estate law, family law, and criminal law. Practical training from the South University paralegal degree program prepares students to preform legal tasks such as drafting documents, preparing court briefs and completing substantial legal research. Full-time student may complete this program in as little as 20 months. Federal loans, grants and scholarships widely used, with over 94% of students using loans to finance their education. This is a good affordable option for prospective paralegals.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in South Carolina
Central Carolina Technical College (Sumter)
Florence-Darlington Technical College (Florence)
Greenville Technical College (Greenville)
Horry-Georgetown Technical College (Myrtle Beach)
Midlands Technical College (Columbia)
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College (Orangeburg)
South University – Columbia (Columbia)
Technical College of the Lowcountry
Trident Technical College (Charleston)
Featured Programs in South Carolina and Online
- Pathway to Paralegal Postbaccalaureate Certificate
- BS in Paralegal Studies
- AAS in Paralegal Studies
- And more...
- Paralegal (Associate's)
- Paralegal (Bachelor's)
- BAC-Paralegal Studies
- AS - Paralegal Studies
- Paralegal Studies, AA (Online Only)
- Legal Studies, BA (Online)
1. National Center for Education Statistics: http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. College Prowler: http://collegeprowler.com/search/t-career/sm1-paralegal/st-sc/