Paralegal Schools in Delaware
This overview of paralegal schools in Delaware provides information about the degree and certificate options available in the state for students interested in learning more about pursuing an education to support careers as paralegals and legal assistants. Numerous paralegal programs are available in Delaware from the certificate to the bachelor’s degree level. There are also a variety of online paralegal programs that can offer a flexible alternative to traditional on-campus study.
- There are 4 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Delaware.1
- 3 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- 1 school ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- 1 school ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- No schools ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- 4 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in Delaware.6
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges 2018*
- University of Delaware (#38 in-state, #43 out-of-state)
Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs 2018
- Widener University Delaware Law School (#19)
College Factual’s Best Degrees in Legal Professions 2018
- Wilmington University (#24)
Schools with Paralegal Programs Approved by the ABA
- Delaware Technical and Community College
- Wesley College
- Widener University Law School
- Wilmington University
Paralegal Degree Programs in Delaware
Delaware Technical and Community College
The associate’s degree in paralegal studies at Delaware Technical and Community College prepares students to competently apply and integrate a range of research techniques and legal knowledge to address legal tasks in an efficient and effective manner. Specific legal courses are supported by a strong foundation of general studies courses aimed to enable students to communicate, write, use technology, and apply problem-solving skills in a professional workplace. Additionally, a mandatory internship component allows students to gain real-world work experience before graduation. As a flexible “connected degree” program, students are able to complete an associate’s degree and then transfer to a four-year degree program as a third-year student. Delaware Technical and Community College also offers a certificate program in paralegal studies for those who have already completed an associate’s degree. Both of these programs are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
Widener University Law Center hosts an American Bar Association (ABA)-approved associate degree paralegal program that offers flexible course scheduling, including online courses, to accommodate full-time, part-time, and evening students. This program offers students an exceptional classroom experience driven by a distinguished faculty of lawyers and legal professionals. Graduates are proficient in legal research, legal writing, and civil and criminal theory. The research program at Widener University Law Center is backed by the vast resources of the Widener Law Library. Furthermore, students are given the opportunity to streamline their studies and concentrate in a specific area of law through a variety of legal electives. A certificate program is also offered that can be earned separately or concurrently with the associate’s degree. The faculty, resources, and flexibility of this program make it a great option for those seeking a paralegal degree in Delaware.
Wilmington University offers two American Bar Association (ABA)-approved paralegal degree programs, a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Legal Studies program and a post-baccalaureate Paralegal Certificate program, both of which are structured around a core curriculum of legal fundamentals. These degree programs provide a balanced education with an emphasis on legal procedures, allowing students to enter the workforce as paralegals immediately upon graduation or pursue a breadth of other careers in industries including government, human resources, or banking. In addition to legal research, writing, terminology, and concepts, this program emphasizes strong client communication skills, self-discipline, and ethical principles. An optional internship program gives students an opportunity to gain academic credit while earning valuable work experience in a position best suited to their career interests. This program is ideal for students wishing to pursue broad academic concepts with a focus in paralegal studies or for those who want the flexibility to pursue other careers in the future.
Online Paralegal Programs
Students interested in working in the paralegal field can earn a hybrid online bachelor’s degree through Widener University. Students can choose to concentrate in areas such as corporate law, criminal law, litigation, health law, and more. Students learn practical skills applicable in the paralegal field through courses like Legal Research, Legal Writing, Civil Practice, and Ethics and the Law. As this program is approved by the American Board Association (ABA), students must complete at least 10 paralegal specialty semester credits in a traditional classroom format. An online certificate is also offered that can be completed in one summer or over two traditional semesters. The 24-credit certificate curriculum is designed for students who have earned at least 60 college credits, which means students still completing their associate or bachelor’s degree coursework are eligible to apply.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked//
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/