Paralegal Schools in New Jersey
This overview of paralegal schools in New Jersey is designed to provide you with information on the schools and programs available in the state so that you can compare your options and make the right choice. The paralegal schools in New Jersey offer a variety of competitive programs that may be a good match for your skills and interests. You might also wish to consider an online paralegal program, which some students find to be a flexible alternative to on-campus study.
Schools with Paralegal Programs
- There are 20 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in New Jersey.
- 11 schools offer an undergraduate certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 15 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 0 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There are 12 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs in New Jersey.
Institutional Facts for Schools with Paralegal Programs
- Highest graduation rate: Montclair State University 62%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Montclair State University 24%.1
- Highest net price per year: Prism Career Institute-West Atlantic City $28,706.1
- Lowest net price per year: Union County College $1,742.1
- Highest student population: Montclair State University 18,498.1
- Lowest student population: Prism Career Institute-West Atlantic City 121.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in New Jersey: $3,840-$21,750.2
- 3 schools in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): Seton Hall University #64, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey-Newark #86, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey-Camden #91
Continue reading this page to find out more about your options for obtaining an education in the paralegal/legal assistant field in New Jersey
Paralegal Degree Programs in New Jersey
Atlantic Cape Community College offers an Associate in Applied Science in Paralegal Studies that is approved by the American Bar Association and incorporates general education courses, paralegal introductory courses and focused legal courses in areas such as legal research and writing, litigation preparation, client contact, document preparation and technical skills. Upon completion of the required paralegal courses, students gain exposure to the field through a mandatory 3-credit cooperative education course. This program is designed for paralegals and prospective paralegals who wish to increase their legal proficiency and enter the legal field immediately upon graduation.
Take whatever opportunity best presents itself at the time. You never know where it may lead. Also, make every effort to learn new skills, no matter how insignificant they may seem. Helping out with the firm’s bookkeeping, or organizing the file room, may seem below you as a skilled professional, but it could make all the difference if a management position becomes available.” –‘Grumpy Humbug,’ Paralegal in the Mid-Atlantic Region and author of the A Paralegal’s Life blog.
Mercer County Community College
Mercer County Community College in Trenton, NJ offers a career-focused, ABA-approved Associate in Applied Science Degree in Paralegal Studies that prepares students for employment in private law offices, government agencies, private corporations, banks and insurance companies. The main objectives of the program are to clarify the role of paralegals within the legal system, impart a thorough understanding of the legal system, and foster critical thinking, document analysis, and formal writing skills. Graduates will be able to demonstrate proficiency in a wide range of substantive legal areas such as wills and probate, family law, civil litigation, commercial law and real estate. All legal specialty courses are taught by practicing attorneys, offering students valuable insight into the legal environment. Both daytime and evening courses are offered and the degree may be pursued either full-time or part-time. This Associate degree program is ideal for students aiming to enter the legal work force as soon as possible.
Farleigh Dickinson University
In 2012, Farleigh Dickinson University’s Paralegal Studies Certificate Program was voted the #1 Paralegal Education program by attorneys and paralegals throughout New Jersey. The certificate program is a 300 hour, non-credit certificate program approved by the American Bar Association and designed to facilitate the transition from the classroom to employment as a paralegal in law offices, corporate legal departments, government agencies and other organizations. Courses are taught by practicing attorneys, many of whom are affiliated with the leading law firms in the region. Additionally, the FDU program offers students opportunities for on-the-job experience through the Optional External Experience Opportunities program, which facilitates practical internships with law firms, legal departments throughout New Jersey and the New York City Metropolitan Area. The Certificate Program is conveniently offered through both daytime and evening courses at 3 locations: Teaneck, Madison, and Eatontown. Daytime students can complete the program in as little as 6 months, whereas the evening program is designed for students working full-time and can be completed in 12 months.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in New Jersey (Not-for-Profit)
- Atlantic Cape Community College (Mays Landing)
- Bergen Community College (Paramus)
- Brookdale Community College (Lincroft)
- Burlington County College (Pemberton)
- Cumberland County College (Vineland)
- Fairleigh Dickinson University (Madison, also offered at Eatontown and Teaneck, NJ campuses)
- Gloucester County College (Sewell)
- Mercer County Community College (Trenton)
- Middlesex County College (Edison)
- Montclair State University (Upper Montclair)
- Raritan Valley Community College (Somerville)
- Union County College (Cranford)
Atlantic Cape Community College
5100 E Black Horse Pike
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
Student Review: “I got my paralegal certification from Atlantic Cape Community College in New Jersey. I found the curriculum to be tougher than I had first thought it would be. The campus is a bit small but very cozy. I put a lot of effort into my studies and got through it with the necessary knowledge to do the best at my job, so I am very grateful to Atlantic Cape Community College and all the staff – they were always very nice and helpful. The professors always went out of their way to help us understand everything well. I think one of the things that I would definitely change is bringing in more speakers to encourage the students. We did not have much of that when I went through the program, but the few times someone did come in, it was very refreshing and helpful.” -Student at Atlantic Cape Community College
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?state=NJ&sort=best