Paralegal Schools in Mississippi
The following guide to paralegal schools in Mississippi is designed to help you find the information you need to make an informed choice to support your career as a paralegal/legal assistant. The colleges and universities in Mississippi offer a variety of paralegal programs, including programs in specialty practice areas that may be a good match for your career aspirations. As an alternative to traditional on campus or classroom study, you may also find that online paralegal degree programs can provide a more flexible option.
Schools with Paralegal Programs
- There are 18 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in Mississippi.
- 0 schools offer an undergraduate certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 14 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 4 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 2 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs in Mississippi.
Institutional Facts for Schools with Paralegal Programs
- Highest graduation rate: Antonelli College-Jackson 77%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: East Mississippi Community College 56%.1
- Highest net price per year: Mississippi College $16,017.1
- Lowest net price per year: Coahoma Community College $900.1
- Highest student population: University of Mississippi 18,224.1
- Lowest student population: Southwest Mississippi Community College 1,884.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in Mississippi: $3,770-$18,048.2
- No schools in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100).
Read on to discover more about paralegal schools in Mississippi, including key information about popular programs.
Paralegal Degree Programs in Mississippi
The Mississippi University for Women offers an exciting and comprehensive legal studies degree that has been approved as a paralegal training program by the American Bar Association. Both general education and law-specific courses are offered at the beautiful historic campus in Columbus. Highlights of this program include small class sizes, personalized academic and career advising, internship opportunities and scheduling flexibility that allows students to choose between day, evening and online course offerings. MUW is a highly respected institution throughout the region and has been recognized for its dynamic, interesting and diverse campus life. Though the bachelor’s degree is more extensive and costly than comparable associate’s degrees, it is an excellent option for individuals interested in an in-depth introduction to legal studies.
Join a paralegal association and participate in every opportunity to volunteer provided by that organization. Many, if not most, job openings are never advertised. They are filled because someone knows someone. Active participation in paralegal organizations and pro bono projects can make you the someone someone knows.” –Robert E. Mongue, MA, JD, Secretary for the American Association for Paralegal Education and Associate Professor of Legal Studies at The University of Mississippi.
University of Southern Mississippi
The Southern Miss paralegal studies program incorporates a broad-based liberal arts education with the practical legal skills and knowledge to effectively enter a private law firm, bank, government agency or corporation in an entry-level legal position. The Bachelor’s of Arts in Paralegal Studies includes a general education requirement covering basic science and math, written communication, and global history, and computer competency. The law-specific courses focus on a variety of substantive legal areas and foster important professional skills such as legal research, presentation, and document drafting. Graduates will also be able to demonstrate the ability to resolve ethical dilemmas within professional settings. This program has been approved by the American Bar Association and is a great foundation for a wide array of legal careers.
Mississippi College of Clinton, MS offers a Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies. Though not approved by the American Bar Association, this program offers a comprehensive introduction to civil litigation, wills and estates, family law and legal research and writing. This program is hosted by the College’s Department of History and Political Science, embracing a liberal arts mindset and Christian ideals. Faculty members are accomplished teachers and active scholars conducting research and publishing current historical and political research. This is a solid program for students interested in pursuing paralegal education in a smaller academic environment or for those interested in attending a Christian institution.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in Mississippi (Not-for-Profit)
- Mississippi University for Women (Columbus)
- University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg)
Mississippi University for Women
1100 College St
Columbus, MS 39701
Student Review: “In my 4.5 year college career, I was challenged beyond my expectations. As with all colleges, you start with the same classes that all freshmen do, which were easy to comprehend, and gave me a false sense of how easy my future studies would be. Once I passed my general classes and entered into my core studies, I soon found out that the effort I put into my previous studies would be substandard. I found myself immersed in a foreign world of terms to which I had no clue as to what they meant. If it weren’t for my talented professors and instructors who showed their passion for law, then I would have lost my interest in the program. Several instructors provided means to which we could all contact past students who were currently thriving in the paralegal community, as well as bringing in high profile lawyers who provided a completely different perspective on the area of study.” -student at Mississippi University for Women
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?state=MS&sort=best