Paralegal Schools in Nebraska
This guide to paralegal schools in Nebraska will provide you with in-depth information that you can use to decide where to pursue an education in the paralegal/legal assistant field. The paralegal schools in Nebraska offer a variety of degree and certificate programs and may also offer options for specializing in select areas of the law, such as commercial litigation or real estate. There are also several paralegal schools that offer online paralegal degrees and certificates that you may find to be a better fit with your schedule.
- There are 7 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Nebraska.1
- 1 school offers a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 6 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- 1 school ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- 1 school ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- 2 schools ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- 2 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in Nebraska.6
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges 2018*
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (#83 in-state, #80 out-of-state)
Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs 2018
- Bellevue University (#22)
College Factual’s Best Degrees in Legal Professions 2018
- Bellevue University (#23)
US News Best Law Schools 2019
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (#80 tie)
- Creighton University (#125 tie)
Schools with Paralegal Programs Approved by the ABA
- College of Saint Mary
- Metropolitan Community College
Paralegal Degree Programs in Nebraska
College of St. Mary
The Pre-Law and Paralegal program at the College of St. Mary offers three degree options, with each program including a liberal arts curriculum paired with a special selection of law-specific courses. Students can choose from a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, or an Associate of Arts (AA) in Paralegal Studies. Students at the College of St. Mary benefit from a respected faculty of qualified attorneys, many of whom still practice within their fields and can provide valuable insight into the legal work environment. The program also facilitates paid internship programs at various major Omaha law firms and Fortune 500 companies. This College of St. Mary hosts the only bachelor’s degree program in Nebraska that has been approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
Volunteer in your community, as many service organizations welcome paralegal volunteers because of the education, experience, attention to detail, and professionalism brought to the environment.” –Mianne L. Besser, President and NFPA Secondary of the Rocky Mountain Paralegal Association.
Metropolitan Community College
Metropolitan Community College (MCC) offers a paralegal studies program that is a comprehensive introduction to legal ideas, legal institutions, and processes. The curriculum includes several areas of substantive law and embraces a hands-on learning philosophy. Coursework is geared toward individual and group research projects and may culminate with an internship program that allows students to experience corporate and law office environments. The law-specific courses are taught by licensed attorneys and paralegals. Students may choose to pursue either an associate degree in paralegal studies or a certificate in paralegal studies. The certificate program is for students who have previously completed a bachelor’s degree. The MCC paralegal program has been approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) and is an active member of the American Association for Paralegal Education (AAfPE).
Online Paralegal Programs
Students can earn an online Bachelor of Science (BS) in Legal Studies at Bellevue University. This degree program can be completed on-campus in Bellevue or entirely online in a flexible format. Both on-campus and online students follow the same curriculum, with courses such as Law, Policy and Ethics, the Legal and Judicial Systems, and Criminal Justice. Students earn a strong foundation in law with an emphasis on the application of legal theory to the real world. Courses focus on practical skills such as legal writing and legal procedure as well as broad skills like critical thinking and analytical reasoning. With the option of an online format for working professionals, students can adapt their coursework to fit their schedule. Both online and on-campus students have the opportunity to pursue hands-on learning experiences through organized visits with law schools, government offices, and local firms.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked//
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/