Paralegal Schools in Nevada
The paralegal schools in Nevada offer several programs for earning a degree or certificate that can support your career as a paralegal or legal assistant. This guide is designed to offer an overview of paralegal schools in Nevada and contains key information about your education options, which can assist you in making the right choice for your personal goals. You may also find that an online paralegal degree is a good match for your needs. Visit our paralegal careers in Nevada guide for further information on your career possibilities.
- There are 4 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Nevada.1
- 3 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs.2
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Law Schools in 2022.3
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Legal Writing Programs in 2022.4
- 1 ABA-approved paralegal degree program is in Nevada.5
For not-for-profit colleges and universities with paralegal/legal assistant degree programs.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of Paralegal Programs
- Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs in Nevada
- Select Schools in Nevada with Paralegal Degrees
Comparison of Paralegal Programs
The table below will help you compare not-for-profit paralegal and legal studies programs in Nevada based on various factors. The table includes the paralegal programs offered, the graduation rate for first-time bachelor’s degree seekers, and the average net price of tuition for in-state students after financial aid awards. We have also included information on approval by the American Bar Association (ABA). While ABA approval is not required in order to work as a paralegal, it is a mark of program quality that is preferred by many employers.
|School||ABA Approved?||Paralegal Degree(s)||Acceptance Rate6||Grad Rate1||Online Options?||Median Debt7||Net Price1|
|College of Southern Nevada (Las Vegas)||—||Certificate-Paralegal Studies;|
|Truckee Meadows Community College (Reno)||Yes||AAS-Paralegal/Law||100%||28%||Yes||$6,500||$8,547|
|University of Nevada-Las Vegas (Las Vegas)||—||Certificate-Paralegal||81%||44%||Yes||$12,500||$11,834|
|University of Nevada-Reno (Reno)||—||Certificate-Paralegal Studies||88%||60%||Yes||$12,000||$16,359|
- — indicates none.
- N.Av. indicates no data available.
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
US News & World Report’s Best Law Schools 2022
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (#60 tie)
US News & World Report’s Best Legal Writing Programs 2022
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (#1 tie)
Select Schools in Nevada with Paralegal Degrees
The College of Southern Nevada (CSN) offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Paralegal Studies and a Post-Degree Certificate in Paralegal Studies. All faculty members of the paralegal program at CSN are Juris Degree (JD) holders and attorneys. The curriculum includes comprehensive instruction in legal procedures and practical legal knowledge as well as substantive areas of law. Law-specific courses include Legal Writing, Civil Procedure, Legal Research, Ethics, and Law Office Management, among others. The paralegal studies programs are designed to benefit individuals who are new to the paralegal profession as well as those who are currently employed in law-related settings. Both programs are designed to prepare graduates to be employable paralegal professionals in a wide range of law practices, from public and private firms to government agencies.
Hybrid and Online Programs
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Paralegal/Law program at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) prepares students for careers as paralegals and imparts professional skills applicable to a variety of legal practice settings. The TMCC paralegal program is the only paralegal education program approved by the ABA in Nevada and can typically be completed in five semesters or two years. Many required legal studies courses are available completely online or on-campus. The Paralegal/Law program offers a wide variety of legal specialty courses such as Real Property, Business Structures, Family Law, Probate Procedures, Bankruptcy, and Family Law. TMCC partners with Westlaw, an online research tool prominent within the legal practice community, and trains its students to utilize this online database with proficiency. Paralegal students at TMCC who wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree are able to transfer the majority of the credits earned in the program to other Nevada state four-year colleges and universities.
The University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLA) offers a Paralegal Certificate program focused on providing students with the professional skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in an entry-level legal position. The program duration is 15 weeks, and classes are offered during the day and evening on the Paradise campus with select courses offered in a hybrid format. With a curriculum designed to prepare students to assist attorneys in both legal and business settings, students will gain essential skills in two main areas of focus: Practicum and the Law. The Practicum sessions teach practical skill-building in areas including writing and law practice. The Law sessions emphasize Nevada and federal law, and expose students to various types of law such as contracts, torts, criminal law, and estate planning. Paralegal students of UNLA have access to two electronic researching tools, Westlaw and LexisNexis, providing graduates with professional marketplace skills within the paralegal practice.
The University of Nevada-Reno (UNR) offers a non-credit Paralegal Studies Certificate through their Extended Studies program in the Continuing and Professional Studies Department. This program is offered over the course of 12 weeks and can be taken in a hybrid format, with three on-campus weekend sessions, or 100% online with the option to attend the meetings virtually. UNR’s flexible format is designed to accommodate both those who are new to learning about the paralegal profession and those who are already in professional practice and are studying to expand their skills. Weekly modules cover research software, legal ethics, legal documents, legal terminology, torts, criminal law, and other practical skills with the paralegal/legal profession. While the credits are not transferable, they may qualify as continuing education hours for Certified Paralegal (CP) renewal from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
3. US News & World Report Best Law Schools 2022: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
4. US News & World Report Best Legal Writing Programs 2022: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/legal-writing-rankings
5. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/
6. Niche: https://www.niche.com/
7. Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, Ranking ROI of 4,500 US Colleges and Universities: https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/CollegeROI/