Paralegal Schools in Nevada
The paralegal schools in Nevada offer an array of programs for earning a degree or certificate that can support your career as a paralegal or legal assistant. The following overview of paralegal schools in Nevada contains important information about your options and can assist you in making the right choice for your personal goals. You may also find that an online paralegal degree is a good match for your needs.
- There are 4 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Nevada.1
- 1 school offers a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 3 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- No schools ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- 1 school ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- 1 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree program is in Nevada.6
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
US News Best Law Schools 2019
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (#59 tie)
Schools with Paralegal Programs Approved by the ABA
- Truckee Meadows Community College
Paralegal Degree Programs in Nevada
University of Nevada-Reno
The University of Nevada-Reno offers a Paralegal Studies Certificate program through the Continuing and Professional Studies Department. This program does not require admission to the university. The curriculum is designed for working professionals looking to transition into the legal field as well as experienced paralegals interested in career advancement. The non-credit certificate takes place over eight different weekend sessions and totals 112 contact hours. Sessions cover subjects that range from legal terminology to principles of case briefing, court rules, and the trial process. Students learn practical skills, including how to identify legal issues, research the law, and draft legal documents, as well as broad lessons in legal ethics. This professional certificate may qualify as contact hours from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) and students may be able to use the professional certificate to further their career in their current or future employment opportunities.
College of Southern Nevada
The College of Southern Nevada offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Paralegal Studies and a Certificate in Paralegal Studies. Both programs are designed to prepare students to assist lawyers in a variety of legal tasks. The curriculum includes substantive areas of law combined with comprehensive instruction in legal procedures and practical legal knowledge. Law-specific courses include family law, tort, contracts, criminal procedure, and business law, among many others. The paralegal studies programs are designed to benefit individuals who are new to the paralegal profession as well as individuals who are currently employed in law-related settings. Both programs provide a solid background to legal knowledge and the paralegal profession and include faculty members who have practical experience as practicing attorneys and paralegals.
Online Paralegal Programs
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
The University of Nevada-Las Vegas offers an online and on-campus paralegal certificate program focused on providing students with the professional skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in an entry-level legal position. The program was established in 1993 and boasts an attorney-designed curriculum that includes legal procedures, office skills, and the study of substantive fields of law. Students in this program have access to the top electronic research systems, Westlaw and LexisNexis. These research tools and the curriculum’s focus on individual study foster important professional skills specific to the legal profession. Additionally, students have the option to pursue this certificate program entirely online. This program is an accessible option for individuals wishing to take an entirely online paralegal degree program.
Truckee Meadows Community College
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) paralegal/law program at Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) prepares students for careers in the legal field and imparts professional skills applicable to a variety of fields. Many required legal studies courses, such as Torts, Contracts, Bankruptcy, and Business Structures are available completely online, although some required classes must be taken on-campus. The department offers a wide variety of courses covering a range of basic legal fields and procedures. Resources available to students include Westlaw Online, a prominent research tool within the legal community. Paralegal students at TMCC are able to transfer the majority of the credits earned within the program to the criminal justice and pre-law bachelor’s degrees at the University of Nevada-Reno and the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. Several funding options are available to TMCC students, including but not limited to scholarships and financial aid. The TMCC paralegal program is the only paralegal education program approved by the American Bar Association (ABA) in Nevada and can typically be completed in five semesters or two years.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked//
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/