Paralegal Schools in North Dakota
The colleges and universities in North Dakota offer several programs for earning a certificate or degree in paralegal studies. This guide to paralegal schools in North Dakota will help you find the information you need to make the right choice for your personal interests and career aspirations. As an alternative to traditional classroom-based programs, you may wish to consider an online paralegal program, which can offer a more flexible schedule for working students.
- There are 2 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in North Dakota.1
- No schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- No schools ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- No schools ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- No not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in North Dakota.6
Proof, proof, proof your resume before applying to a job. You do not need a business course in order to learn how to properly format a resume. Find a reputable website – there are plenty out there – that give examples of properly formatted resumes.” –Leigh Johnson, 1st Vice President of the Western Dakota Legal Assistants Association.
Paralegal Degree Programs in North Dakota
Turtle Mountain Community College
Turtle Mountain Community College offers two programs for students interested in careers in legal support: an Associate of Applied Science Tribal Advocacy/Paralegal and a 12-month Certificate in Tribal Advocacy/Paralegal. This program is designed to grow the number of tribal members knowledgeable about Indian law. Before enrolling in the program, students must complete a few prerequisite general education requirements. All specialized legal courses are available online, although some hybrid face-to-face components and interactions are required for the program. Those who have already completed an associate degree and/or meet the prerequisites can choose to enroll in the certificate program, which requires only 34 credit hours of legal specialty courses. In both programs, students complete a 120-hour internship toward the end of their studies in order to gain real-world skills and experience. Graduates can apply for licensure as a tribal advocate with the Turtle Mountain Judicial Board to practice in the Turtle Mountain Tribal Court. Graduates may also be able to apply for licenses from other tribal jurisdictions or work in other legal environments.
Online Paralegal Programs
Bismarck State College
Bismarck State College offers an Associate in Applied Science with an Administrative Assistant – Legal emphasis that prepares graduates for entry-level careers in the paralegal field. This program can be completed entirely online as well as on campus or in a hybrid format for students who are working professionals. Students complete numerous courses focused on building advanced competencies in business writing and office software as well as legal-focused courses such as Legal Office Procedures, Legal Transcription, and Office Management. Coursework for both online and on-campus students is the same and classes focus on the application of the classroom knowledge in the real world. To gain practical experience, students are also strongly encouraged to complete at least one practicum or internship as part of the degree plan. Graduates from this program may be able to find legal administrative support staff positions in law, government, bank, real estate, or business offices.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-public-colleges/index.php
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked/
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/