Paralegal Schools in Oregon
This overview of paralegal schools in Oregon is designed to help you find the information you need to make an informed decision on where to go to school. The universities and colleges in Oregon offer a range of paralegal programs that include general paralegal studies as well as studies in specialty areas like real estate law and corporate law. Some schools offer paralegal studies programs online, which can also be a suitable alternative for some students.
Paralegal Program Stats
- There are 10 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in Oregon.
- 4 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 9 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- No schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There is 1 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree program in Oregon.
- Highest graduation rate: Abdill Career College Inc. 55%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Portland Community College 22%.1
- Highest net price per year: Heald College-Portland $22,989.1
- Lowest net price per year: Portland Community College $7,943.1
- Highest student population: Portland Community College 34,632.1
- Lowest student population: Abdill Career College Inc. 83.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in Oregon: $4,905-$18,0482
- 2 schools in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): Lewis & Clark College #80, University of Oregon #94
Read on to continue learning about paralegal schools in Oregon, career projections for paralegal graduates, and more.
Paralegal Degree Programs in Oregon
Portland Community College offers two paralegal program options, the Associate of Applied Science degree and a paralegal certificate. The associate’s degree in Paralegal Studies is a 90-credit degree program that incorporates required paralegal courses, elective legal courses, general education requirements and other out of field electives. Students who have previously completed a two or four-year degree may wish to pursue the certificate program in Paralegal Studies, a 45-credit program that includes the same required paralegal courses, and elective legal courses without the general education requirements. The PCC paralegal program has continued to expand in the past few years, recently installing a law library, establishing a student-run paralegal club and expanding several supplemental legal programs. Students at PCC also have access to an expansive advising and career development network through the college at large and specifically through the legal departments. These services and the close ties the college has maintained with local law firms can be very beneficial for recent graduates applying for positions in the greater Portland area. Additionally, the PCC paralegal program has been approved by the American Bar Association.
Umpqua Community College
The Umpqua Community College two-year associate’s degree in Paralegal Studies prepares students for entry-level legal positions by developing both students’ professional skills and substantive legal knowledge. The curriculum includes a theoretical background to legal studies, as well as practical skills such as technology competency, legal writing techniques, and research strategies. The associate’s program combines general education courses in communication and mathematics, as well as paralegal specific courses that may all be completed either online or in the classroom. Though this paralegal degree program has not been approved by the American Bar Association, the flexible scheduling options make it much more accessible, particularly for residents of Douglas County and Roseburg, Oregon.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in Oregon (Not-for-Profit)
- Portland Community College (Cascade and Central Campuses) (Portland)
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?state=OR&sort=best