Paralegal Schools in Utah
This guide to paralegal schools in Utah is designed to provide you with key information so that you can make the right choice on where to pursue a paralegal degree or certificate. The colleges and universities in Utah offer numerous programs to support your career as a paralegal, including programs in specialty practice areas as well as general paralegal studies. Online paralegal schools can also be a good fit for some students and an option that you may wish to consider in deciding where to go to school.
- There are 5 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Utah.1
- 1 school offers a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 4 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- 1 school ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- 2 schools ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- 2 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in Utah.6
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges 2018*
- University of Utah (#49 in-state, #67 out-of-state)
College Factual’s Best Degrees in Legal Professions 2018
- Utah State University (#21)
US News Best Law Schools 2019
- Brigham Young University (#41 tie)
- University of Utah (#54 tie)
Schools with Paralegal Programs Approved by the ABA
- Salt Lake Community College
- Utah Valley University
Paralegal Degree Programs in Utah
Salt Lake Community College
Salt Lake Community College is home to a Paralegal Studies Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree program. This program is designed for students considering careers as paralegals and for currently employed paralegals wishing to update and continue their professional education. General education requirements, core legal courses, and elective legal courses in the curriculum emphasize written communication skills, research techniques, and technical competency. Professional demeanor and management skills are also included throughout the course sequence. Students are able to choose a capstone experience from three options: a paralegal practicum, a co-op program, or a legal portfolio. These final projects are designed to challenge students to apply classroom knowledge in a real-world setting and professionally engage with paralegal topics. Full-time students are able to complete the program in four semesters. The Paralegal Studies AAS is approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
Keep your resume and references current and recognize that there is no one particular format suitable for all paralegal opportunities. Be aware that your resume may need to be rewritten for each intended recipient based upon the criteria and skills needed for the job.” –Mianne L. Besser, President and NFPA Secondary, Rocky Mountain Paralegal Association.
Utah Valley University
Utah Valley University offers three paralegal degree programs within the Legal Studies department: an Associate of Science (AS) in Paralegal Studies, an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Paralegal Studies, and a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Paralegal Studies. All three of the degree programs require general education courses spanning topics such as quantitative reasoning, history, written composition, and social science. Core courses feature a mix of procedural legal subjects, skills-based courses, and substantive legal courses. Students also receive instruction in relevant technologies and computer skills such as software use, development of specific computer applications, spreadsheet analysis, and database research. To graduate, students must also complete a cooperative education program or paralegal internship totaling eight credit hours to be applied toward graduation. This final degree requirement gives students the opportunity to synthesize the course material and productively apply it in a professional legal setting. Both the associate’s and bachelor’s degrees in Paralegal Studies offered by Utah Valley University have been formally approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
Online Paralegal Programs
Southern Utah University
Southern Utah University’s Legal Studies Program embraces a broad-based approach to paralegal education, preparing graduates for entry-level positions in law firms and corporations in a variety of industries. The associate degree program requires completion of a general education course sequence as well as a selection of paralegal-specific legal courses. Classes within the legal studies Associate of Art (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) are offered online, although some general education or prerequisite courses may not be available online. The degree program requires 64 to 65 credit hours and may be completed in two years. Students have the option of earning course credit through a paralegal internship at a local legal office. Though this program has not been approved by the American Bar Association (ABA), it offers a good introduction to the field and the allows students access to the university’s numerous research resources.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-kiplinger-s-best-values-in-public-colleges/index.php
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked/
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/