Paralegal Schools in West Virginia
This overview of paralegal schools in West Virginia contains key information about the paralegal certificate and degree programs available in the state. The colleges and universities in West Virginia offer a variety of paralegal programs from general paralegal studies to specialty topics like e-discovery and corporate law which may be a good fit for your career aspirations. You may also find that online paralegal programs are a good fit since they often offer more flexible class schedules.
Paralegal Program Stats
- There are 9 colleges and universities that offer a paralegal/legal assistant degree program in West Virginia.
- 3 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 9 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- 0 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.
- There is 1 not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree program in West Virginia.
- Highest graduation rate: West Virginia Business College-Wheeling 89%.1
- Highest transfer-out rate: Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College 28%.1
- Highest net price per year: Pierpont Community and Technical College $8,872.1
- Lowest net price per year: West Virginia Northern Community College $3,727.1
- Highest student population: American Public University System 50,838.1
- Lowest student population: West Virginia Business College-Wheeling 94.1
- Annual tuition range for paralegal programs at community colleges and career schools in West Virginia: $5,616-$18,048.2
- 1 school in US News Best Law Schools Rankings of 2013 (top 100): West Virginia University #91
Continue reading to find out more about paralegal schools in West Virginia and career information for paralegal graduates.
Paralegal Degree Programs in West Virginia
The paralegal degree program at Mountwest Community & Technical College was planned with assistance and advisement from the West Virginia State Bar and a committee of experienced paralegals and legal assistants. Developed from these groups, the Associate of Science (AS) degree in Paralegal Studies focuses on practical application of useful professional skills as well as substantive knowledge of basic legal fields. Interpersonal communication and analytical abilities are emphasized throughout the course sequence. The program culminates in a mandatory paralegal internship facilitated by the career services division of the program administration. This unique experience allows paralegals to gain valuable work experience and develop important contacts within the legal workplace. As of 2013, this is the only paralegal degree program in West Virginia that has been approved by the American Bar Association.
West Virginia Northern Community College
West Virginia Northern Community College offers both a certificate program in paralegal studies and a Business Studies Associate of Applied Science (AAS) with a focus in paralegal studies. The explicit program goals include knowledge of legal terminology and procedure, demonstration of critical thinking skills, legal research and presentation competency, and an understanding of the ethical implications within the paralegal profession. The paralegal program is only offered full-time at the Wheeling campus, though some courses are also offered at the Weirton campus. The certificate program totals slightly under $3,000 in tuition cost and may be completed in as little as 12 months for full-time students. Though not formally approved by the American Bar Association, this program provides a comprehensive introduction to substantive legal topics and paralegal professional skills.
Blue Ridge Technical and Community College
The hands-on, practical approach to paralegal studies at Blue Ridge Technical and Community College prepares students for a dynamic career as a paralegal or legal assistant at a law office, corporation or government agency. In addition to substantive legal issues, the curriculum focuses on skills development such as legal research and writing, government operations, document drafting, trial preparation, technical processing skills and client interviewing. Completion of this program prepares students to pursue national certification as a paralegal or to continue paralegal education at a four-year institution. Blue Ridge Technical and Community offers an Associate Degree program in paralegal studies and a certificate in Legal Office Assisting. Though neither program has been formally approved by the American Bar Association, both are affordable options for individuals wishing to begin a paralegal career.
American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs in West Virginia (Not-for-Profit)
- Mountwest Community & Technical College (f.k.a. Marshall Community & Technical College)
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Niche College Search: https://www.niche.com/colleges/?state=WV&sort=best