Paralegal Schools in Maine
The paralegal schools in Maine offer three programs to prepare students for careers as paralegals and legal assistants. This overview of paralegal schools in Maine will provide you with the key information you need to decide on the right school for your personal interests and career expectations. Online paralegal schools can also be suitable alternatives to traditional on-campus programs for some students. With few paralegal programs in Maine, you might want to consider programs in nearby states such as Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Vermont. For more information about job possibilities in the paralegal field, visit our paralegal careers in Maine guide.
- There are 2 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Maine.1
- 2 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 1 school offers a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs.2
- 1 school ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Law Schools in 2022.3
- No schools ranked in US News & World Report’s Best Legal Writing Programs in 2022.4
- No ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in Maine.5
For not-for-profit colleges and universities with paralegal/legal assistant degree programs.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of Paralegal Programs
- Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs in Maine
- Select Schools in Maine with Paralegal Degrees
Comparison of Paralegal Programs
The table below will help you compare not-for-profit paralegal and legal studies programs in Maine based on various factors. The table includes the paralegal programs offered, the graduation rate for first-time bachelor’s degree seekers, and the average net price of tuition for in-state students after financial aid awards. We have also included information on approval by the American Bar Association (ABA). While ABA approval is not required in order to work as a paralegal, it is a mark of program quality that is preferred by many employers.
|School||ABA Approved?||Paralegal Degree(s)||Acceptance Rate6||Grad Rate1||Online Options?||Median Debt7||Net Price1|
|Husson University (Bangor)||—||Certificate-Paralegal;|
BS-Legal Studies: Pre Law
|University of Maine at Augusta (Augusta)||—||Certificate-Paralegal Studies||100%||19%||—||$12,793||$10,670|
- — indicates none.
- N.Av. indicates no data available.
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
US News & World Report’s Best Law Schools 2022
- University of Maine (#124 tie)
Select Schools in Maine with Paralegal Degrees
Husson University offers a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Paralegal Studies-Pre Law and a non-degree Certificate in Paralegal to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. The BS in Paralegal Studies-Pre Law requires a minimum of 122 credit hours and the Paralegal Certificate can be earned with a minimum of 15 credit hours. The curriculum focuses on building skills necessary for the legal field such as critical thinking, communication, computer literacy, legal research, legal writing, and organizational skills. Courses offered in the BS include Business Law, Ethics, Torts, Family Law, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Probate Law, and Civil Litigation. Husson graduates should be prepared for entry-level paralegal positions. A mandatory 120-hour internship allows students to practice their classroom skills in a professional environment, and make connections that may lead to future employment. Though this program has not been formally approved by the ABA, Husson’s program aligns its curriculum and values with ABA goals and standards.
The University of Maine at Augusta (UMA) offers an 18-credit hour Certificate in Paralegal Studies through the Justice Studies program. Certificates in justice studies can be pursued concurrently with an undergraduate degree or independently. The Paralegal Studies Certificate program is open to students who have previously completed at least 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution and who are interested in a paralegal career. Courses include Legal Research and Materials; Real Estate Transfer Procedures; and Estate Administration. Students who are employed as paralegals for a minimum of one continuous year have the option of waiving the Paralegal Practicum requirement. A minimum GPA in the certificate coursework must be maintained in order to graduate. Upon completion of the certificate program, graduates should be prepared to seek employment in law firms, government agencies, company legal departments, and real estate title companies.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
3. US News & World Report Best Law Schools 2022: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
4. US News & World Report Best Legal Writing Programs 2022: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/legal-writing-rankings
5. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/
6. Niche: https://www.niche.com/
7. Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, Ranking ROI of 4,500 US Colleges and Universities: https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-reports/CollegeROI/