Paralegal Schools in Idaho
The paralegal schools in Idaho offer a range of options for earning your degree or certificate in the paralegal/legal assistant field. These programs may include opportunities for earning an endorsement in a specialty area such as corporate or business law or government. Some paralegal schools also offer certificate and degree programs online for students who need flexible scheduling.
- There are 5 colleges and universities that offer paralegal/legal assistant degree programs in Idaho.1
- 2 schools offer a certificate program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 5 schools offer an associate’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- 2 schools offer a bachelor’s degree program for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools offer a master’s or advanced degree for paralegals/legal assistants.1
- No schools ranked in Kiplinger’s Best Values in Public Colleges in 2018.2
- No schools ranked in Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs in 2018.3
- No schools ranked in College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018.4
- 1 school ranked in US News Best Law Schools in 2019.5
- No not-for-profit ABA-approved paralegal degree programs are in Idaho.6
Top-Ranked Schools with Paralegal Programs
US News Best Law Schools 2019
- University of Idaho (#119 tie)
Paralegal Degree Programs in Idaho
Idaho State University
The College of Technology at Idaho State University offers a comprehensive Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Paralegal Studies. Curricular material includes introductory legal courses such as criminal law and procedure, contract law, and tort law, as well as more generalized professional courses such as principles of speech, English composition, and mathematics in modern society. The combination of legal and generalized coursework prepares students to enter a variety of professional fields within the legal work environment. The final semester of the program includes a paralegal internship that each student organizes with a faculty advisor. This internship experience is a capstone that allows students to apply coursework and begin networking within the field. The program begins in August and can be completed in as few as four semesters. Financial aid, scholarships, grants, and loans are available through Idaho State University and various government agencies for qualified students.
Join a local paralegal association. This is an invaluable way to network and get insights into the legal community you want to work in. Many associations allow students to join while they are in school and participate in continuing education or even join a committee.” –Beth Rountree, President of the Idaho Association of Paralegals, Inc.
Lewis-Clark State College
Three separate paralegal degree programs are offered at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho. Students have the opportunity to choose from a four-year bachelor’s degree program, a three-year associate of applied science degree program, and a paralegal technical certificate program, depending upon previous education experience and career goals. The programs synthesize accounting, legal research, legal terminology, and substantive legal theory with varying amounts of general education courses depending upon the length of the program. The course sequence emphasizes business ethics and technological competency, preparing students to enter modern professional environments. Each program culminates with a paralegal internship course that allows paralegal students to participate in a field experience in local law offices or other law-related environments.
North Idaho College
The paralegal professional-technical program at North Idaho College provides leads to an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Paralegal Studies that allows graduates to engage in a variety of legal and law-related professional settings. This program emphasizes the technical aspects of the paralegal profession and equips students with extensive technical knowledge of databases, machine transcription and formatting, record systems management, office skills, and technical writing. Legal knowledge is also incorporated throughout the coursework, though the curriculum is more heavily focused on technical professional skills. Graduates of this program will be proficient in a variety of applicable workplace tasks, such as professional reading, writing, and presentation. A paralegal internship is included in the final semester of the program and is a valuable opportunity for students to engage in and explore a real-world legal environment.
Online Paralegal Programs
Brigham Young University Idaho
Brigham Young University Idaho offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS)-Administrative Assistant degree program that can be completed online or on campus. This degree program serves as a foundation for entry-level paralegal and legal assistant careers. Students learn skills for organization, support, coordination, and planning within an office, preparing them to work in legal firms, corporations, and government agencies. Although the 60-credit degree is available to complete entirely online, online students still interact with instructors and follow the same learning objectives as on-campus students. After completing 17 credits of foundational courses, students complete 35 credits in the Administrative Assistant major and eight elective credits. Students have the option of using these elective credits to pursue an additional concentration in the Business Department. This AAS degree may help provide more career opportunities to those interested in legal office management or starting a career in an entry-level position in a legal office.
1. National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
2. Kiplinger’s Best College Values in Public Colleges: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/college/T014-S001-best-college-values-college-finder/index.php#Tile
3. Paralegal411’s Top Online Paralegal Programs: https://www.paralegal411.org/degrees/bachelors/online/
4. College Factual’s Best Colleges Offering Degrees in Legal Professions in 2018: https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/legal-studies-and-professions/rankings/top-ranked//
5. US News Best Law Schools 2019: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings
6. American Bar Association Approved Paralegal Programs: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/paralegals/